I'm going to share something a bit personal with you. I've been battling some fear and anxiety lately. I decided to be open about it because it's a struggle we all wrestle with at one time or another. My tendency is to wallow in it for a while. Sometimes staying in bed and crying seems easier than meeting it head on.
Satan wants us to live in fear. Once it takes root he pokes and prods at us. He confuses us. He tells us that our struggles are forever. He tells us that nobody understands or cares. He tells us we’re alone.
But guess what? We are not alone. Scripture tells us to bring it to God, so that's what I've been doing. As I prayed the other day I realised that God has already been working on this with and for me. Many times in the previous weeks and months, if I was feeling sad or frightened, I'd get an unexpected text or call from church family to encourage me. Or often a verse would show up on my bible app, social media or in some other way, just when I needed it. I've heard or seen many of the same verses repeatedly, through many different people or means. That's not coincidence...that was my Heavenly Father reminding that He is always with me and that I can hand all that worry over to Him.
Here are some of the bible verses that have helped me to battle fear and anxiety:
- For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, “Fear not, I am the one who helps you.” - Isaiah 41:3
- When I am afraid, I put my trust in You. - Psalm 56:3
- Cast your anxieties on Him because He cares for you. - 1 Peter 5:7
- It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; He will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed. - Deuteronomy 31:8
- Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened or dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. - Joshua 1:9
- Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. - Philippians 4:6
I wanted to make sure I have these handy whenever I need them, so I made a mini book to put in my handbag. I thought you might find it helpful and encouraging too, so I've made the mini book available to download and print out. Get it HERE, then watch the short video below to learn how to quickly fold the page to create the mini book.